For phase three, we were asked to make a poster that replicates our journey of understanding and tell our audience the journey that our tool has lead us to. So, here is my journey.
At first, I started to search for poster inspirations. So, I decided to visit the VCUQ library with some friends and gather some books to look at. I was trying so see how the designers include their micro, median and hook on their posters. It has definitely given me inspiration of how to start my poster.
The first 4 sketches. I tried to include some of the inspirations I gained after looking at some designers posters. However, I was afraid of adding many items on my posters and make it very busy. So, I made them as simple as possible and try to build on it later.
For the 5th poster, I used the tweak tool to mess around the word “mental abuse,” and changed it’s color to red, so it adds a pop of color and can grab people’s attention with the color and it’s effect.
After critique on Monday, 1st of October, I noted down my professors and classmates comments and tried to re-enhance my previous posters. One of the main advices I gained from the critique was to not center anything. So, I tried re-enhance my next posters.
Some of the re-enhanced posters. I messed around with using the blend tool, grid tool and typography.
Some experimentations while using the blend tool. Before and after using the blend tool.
Another experimentation using the blend tool and transparency to create patterns.
The inspiration was from some of the patterns I did in my 100 things, which I learnt from my Math 131 class with Professor Ryad. (Which proved to me, Math actually does come in handy sometimes.)
Tested out some different fonts that goes along with the pattern the best. It’s an Arabic word that stands for “accuracy.” However, at the end I settled with font at the bottom left, which I thought had syntactic relationships with my pattern due to the circle dots and rounded edges.
I also tested out several places and sizes to place the compass in the poster. Keeping in mind hierarchy, I thought the compass was taking over the entire poster in the first two posters and is it too small in the third poster. So, I later on decided to settle on having the compass as the median and make the pattern big and centered.
Used a graph as a background, to signify the word accuracy indirectly and make a semantic relationship. Although after hearing the comments in class, I decided to remove the grid since the word accuracy is already portrayed directly, which made the grid unnecessary to use.
The following class, Leland and Law helped us by giving us individual group critiques. One problem I was facing was the lack of items from my 100 things. Even though I added the pattern from my 100 things, It still was not enough. So, I was given a suggestion to add items from my 100 things in the circles shown above, where it is away from the center. I was also highly encouraged to not place anything on the center where it will make the poster boring, obvious and cliché. Not to mention the title, which was centered, I was suggested to make the font bigger and less centered and more aligned to the left. The definition placement on the bottom right however, turned out to be okay and the font visually appealing.
Another attempt for the final poster. I tried to play around with the hierarchy, using the micro, median and hook. The first poster on the left, had smaller sized objects and a bigger title. Whereas, the second poster, I tried to make the objects bigger and the title a bit smaller. I thought the second poster works better, where the objects started to fill in the empty space on the bottom left. I also played with the vector lines, as if it is wrapping around the object. I used the pen tool and the scissor tool to make the lines cross over the object. For the final final poster, I added more lines wrapping around the object. However, I wish I have added more lines to be wrapped around the object, but it was too late to do after the final critique.
Here is the final printed poster. I printed the final in 2D glossy, where I thought the colors will look better in glossy paper. The choice of objects came from the keywords, semantic, syntactic and symbol. Semantic is the compass, where the geometric compass and the compass relate semantically but have different functions. Syntactic is the knife, where the colors of the knife (silver and black) and the compass relate syntactically. The sand clock however, is a symbol of time, where accuracy takes time. There were definitely some mistakes I would have fixed if I can go back in time, for example the lack of wrapped lines, which I thought was a missed opportunity.
I really enjoyed this project, even though it was very confusing and challenging at times, it also gave me the ability to manage my time properly, expand my ideas, take risks and visualize my thoughts. I was scared to take risks and challenge myself to create a poster out of my 100 things, where I thought it might look very messy and crowded, which will lead the idea of my journey to be lost. However, learning about the syntactics and the semantics of when designing a poster, helped a lot when designing. It made me think of how this object may relate to the other object and how they have to share some kind of meaning so the viewer’s eye will find it syntactically and semantically appealing when their eyes move psychologically from one object to another. I am glad I added more objects from my 100 things, where it filled in the empty space on my poster and added a lot of meaning to it. I also like the way I placed the objects, they are not centered, but are wrapped around the corners of the pattern so the viewers eye can move psychologically from the compass to the Arabic text reading from right to left and down to the objects, which left the center of the pattern empty. I definitely learnt a lot from having to limit number of ideas into one poster!